About this course:
This masterclass has been created for the Intermediate-level photographer who wants to improve their Landscape Photos.
Each location shoot has been deconstructed into 4 topics:
- Chasing The Light: planning, scouting, light quality, and dozens of tips specific to scenic photography.
- Composition: how to frame your shots, using techniques to create balanced and interesting images.
- Camera Settings: aperture, shutter speed, I.S.O., how and where to focus, plus the use of filters and accessories.
- Computer Workflow: how to develop and enhance a digital negative (RAW) file. From basic exposure tweaks, to complex Luminosity Masking.
What will I learn?
- By the end of this course, you will understand how to plan and implement your location shoots.
- You will become more confident in using industry-standard software to edit and enhance your RAW photos.
- 5 videos on gear & planning (in the studio) - from a qualified teacher
- 10 lessons on location (in the field) - from an experienced landscape photographer
- 10 post-processing lessons (on the computer) using Adobe Camera Raw & Photoshop - from an experienced pro photo editor
- RAW files from the location shoots, so you can follow along with the tutorials
- Transcripts of all Photoshop tutorials. Download & print them off for reference
- 14 x Behind The Scenes movies showing the photographer's road-trips across New Zealand
- 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee on all Ray's courses
- Preview some of the content - try before you buy!
- Manually download all the videos and RAW files to your computer - if you are going to be "off the radar."
- The videos and RAW files work on MAC and PC.
What you need:
- Owning a decent DSLR camera would certainly be helpful.
- Having a copy of Adobe Photoshop loaded onto your PC (or Mac) is vital if you wanna follow the post-processing tutorials, which form the bulk of the course content. You will need enough disk space to download Ray's RAW image files, and sufficient RAM to run Photoshop.
- You can use the FREE 30-day trial of Adobe Photoshop, which is the full version!
- Adobe Camera Raw is the app bundled with Photoshop, and is a cut-down version of Lightroom. This is free, and part of Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan subscription. (Older, stand-alone versions of Photoshop also include Camera Raw, though this must be up-to-date).
What students are saying:
- Peter George: "The composition lessons helped me understand why some of my photos work and others don't, and helped me be more deliberate in my composition. Although I don't use Photoshop, I found the post processing lessons were generally transferable to my workflow."
- Steve Parkhurst: "I was excited to view this course, not only for the great scenes and teacher, but because NZ has been on my bucket list for decades. I now am able to go there (if not in reality) and visit the places taken in this course. Thanks Ray!"
- Pawel Czerwinski: "A great course! I definitely recommend it. It covers topics like setting
up your DSLR right for the scene, composition and such. But what is
most interesting about this course is tips on:
- Planning your session properly to take multiple photographs of the same location
- Merging them in Photoshop using techniques like luminosity mask, gradients, and hand painting.
- The workflow is quite
demanding but it gives really impressive results (for example section 9 on Hooker Lake, amazing!)
Keep in mind it's an intermediate level course. In my opinion, both the basics of DSLR photography and the basics of Photoshop will be very helpful."
Your Tutor: Ray Salisbury
Hi there! My name is Ray, & I live in Nelson, the sunshine capital of New Zealand.
been a keen landscape photographer for over 40 years. My bachelor
degree in Graphic Design included two years' training in photography,
and I now sell images to stock libraries, calendars and magazines.
But my passion is in sharing my success secrets with those of you who are not satisfied with your photos. For 12 years I have inspired
thousands of students as a
qualified art teacher.
teaching professional, I know that a one-way monologue is the most
ineffective method of communication, (and the most boring).
And you all have different personalities;
different learning styles & speeds. I get that, so my courses are tailored to aural, visual & kinesthetic learners.
Plus, I have peppered my courses with animated diagrams, visual aids, quirky quizzes & carefully designed worksheets.
Surprisingly, the most important part of my training courses are NOT
the video lectures, but the hands-on exercises where YOU get to put
theory into practice.
If you have trouble navigating my course, or would like some help, don't hesitate. My email address is: [email protected]
See you on the inside...
Photography Tutor @ Hot Pixels Photography
Comprehensive Course Curriculum (what's covered in this course):
Chasing The Light:
- Shooting on the coast
- Sunstar effects
- Lens Flare
- Colour temperature
- The Photographer's Ephemeris
- PhotoPills ap
- Colour Theory
- Symmetry & balance
- Rule of Thirds
- Rule of Odds
- Lead-in Lines
- Focal Points
- Foreground Interest
- Getting fresh angles
- Striving for originality
- Shutter Speed
- Exposure Compensation
- Exposure Bracketing
- High Dynamic Range
- Focusing in Live View
- Hyperfocal Distance
- Depth of Field
- Bulb Mode
- Polarising filter
- Neutral Density Filters
- Graduated Neutral Density Filters
- Tripod tips
- Leveling the horizon, etc.
- Intro to Adobe Camera Raw features & tools
- Dehaze Filter
- Graduated ND Filter
- Straighten Tool
- Adobe Photoshop basics
- Metadata & Copyright
- Image Resolution
- Image compression for web
- Moving around the screen
- Keyboard shortcuts (Mac & PC)
- Clone Stamp Tool
- Healing Brush Tool
- Dodge & Burn Tools
- Unsharpen Mask
- High Pass Filter
- Adjustments Layers: curves, level, contrast, saturation
- Layer palette
- Layer Masks
- Channels palette
- Stacking images
- Panoramic Stitching
- Luminosity Masks
If you've read this far... you are thorough, and will be an excellent student! Look for the big red ENROLL button.